The good - Krastenbergs and Mitens
Only two Latvian U20 players has scored more than 3 goals in Elite U20 WJC:
- Roberts Bukarts scored 4 goals in 2009 U20 WJC and 6 goals in 2010 U20 WJC;
- Roberts Jekimovs scored 4 goals in 2009 U20 WJC;
- Martins Karsums scored 3 goals in 2006 U20 WJC.
- Nauris Enkuzens 2009 U20 WJC 6 GP, GAA 4.33, SV% 90.3 and;
- Ivars Punnenovs performance in 2013 U20 WJC 5 GP, 4.27 GAA, SV% 88.6.
The bad - on paper this was one of the best rosters
- In 2006 U20 WJC Latvian U20 played 2 QMJHL and SuperElit players, 2 players were drafted before the WJC and 2 players were drafted in the same year.
- In 2009 U20 WJC Latvian U20 played 1 NAHL player and 1 Swedish SuperElit player, 0 was drafted before the same year or even after but Latvian U20 saved in the relegation round.
- In 2010 U20 WJC Latvian U20 played 1 Swiss Elite Jr. A player and 1 KHL/Belarus player
- In 2012 U20 WJC Latvian U20 played 2 Swiss Elite Jr. A players, 1 QMJHL, WHL, USHL, Swedish SuperElite player, 1 player was drafted before, 2 in the same year and 2 players were drafted in the coming years and Latvian U20 saved in the relegation round.
- In 2013 U20 WJC Latvian U20 played 3 Swiss Elite Jr. A players, 2 WHL players, 1 QMJHL and NCAA player, 1 player was drafted before, 2 players in coming years. Latvian U20 was relegated.
- In 2017 U20 WJC Latvian U20 played 6 NAHL players 2 WHL, USHL players, 2 Swiss Jr. A players, 1 QMJHL, OHL, NCAA, KHL/MHL players, 3 players were drafted before.
The Ugly - right tournament format
The U20 WJC tournament format has changed in the past 10 years, In 2006 U20 WJC group winners automatically qualified to semifinals, 2nd and 3rd place teams played in quarterfinals, 4th and 5th placed teams played in relegation round where two teams were relegated, in 2012 it was the same, but only 1 team was relegated. Since 2014 U20 WJC Top 4 group teams advances to quarterfinals and 5th placed teams have to play a relegation round till 2 victories.
In 2006 U20 WJC to save in relegation round a team must've won at least 2 games against 3 opponents and it seems that nothing has changed, the same relegation round and to save in relegation round you have to win 2 games, but this time against one opponent and it seems way tougher than it looks. The only time 3 games in this relegation format was played only one time so far. It happened in the first one of this type of relegation round in 2014 U20 WJC between Germany U20 and Norway U20.